Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Peacock...Not So Much

First off, the picture above is not a picture of "my" peacock, but a similar looking bird that I found on a quick search of the internet. Here's the deal. When I first moved here in October, I was on the phone speaking with my friend Wendy (hi!). I was looking out the back door and saw this large, colorful bird standing in our backyard. I freaked out a bit because I had never seen anything quite like it before. I started describing it to Wendy...I was about 2.5 feet tall, had a bright green/blue head, very colorful feathers, and a lot of colorful feathers on the back side. After careful deliberation we determined that it must be a peacock. I asked around to native of the area and they said that yes, peacocks have been sighted here. Yay! I had seen my first wild peacock in my own backyard!!! "Not so fast Charlie." A few weeks back (when the thaw started) Ray started asking me about my peacock "sighting" as he had seen a bird in the backyard that sounded quite similar. Yep, green/blue head, colorful feathers, about 2.5 feet tall - he laughed and said that it definitely was not a peacock, but a male pheasant. How disappointing - a peacock sounds MUCH more exciting & exotic. Apparently he lives in the brush behind our place because you can hear him when we take the dogs out. Who knew??? Peacocks & pheasants must be related - I'm convinced.

No comments: