Sunday, January 20, 2008

Where am I?

The first time I was here in Moncton, New Brunswick, the weather was very nice. Back in September it was beautiful here, the days were quite sunny and warm. When Ray was taking me around town I saw that all of the fire hydrants had these 6 foot red poles next to them. I asked Ray what they were for, he just kinda laughed and said that it's how they locate the hydrants in the winter because they get so much snow. I must've been in total denial because I never thought there would be this much snow. Now I know why they need to use these hydrant markers! This is the hydrant located right outside our place (that's my Buick in the driveway - the heat just went out in it yesterday - the blower just stopped working...always something I tell you). Nearly every time it snows the city has to come out and un-bury it. I am quite impressed with the way that life still goes on here even during snow storms - they rarely have "snow days." I am told that schools close down when it gets -39 Celsius for a "cold day." I've been asking myself on a daily basis this winter, "Where am I?"

No comments: