Sunday, December 23, 2007

Old Dog, New Trick

Who said that you can't teach an old dog new tricks? And who said that Champ isn't very smart (that depends on the day of the week you ask Ray)? It makes me so excited that I was able to teach ol' Champy a trick!!! This is from the girl who has never even taught a dog how to sit...it's quite the accomplishment if I do say so myself. I've been working with the big white guy to stand on his hind legs when I say "up" for a little over a week and he's got it down. First, let's get the "tail" of the tape on Champy-boy...he's 5 1/2 years old(going on 105!) & tippin' the scales at 75-large!! SO, needless to say dancing on his hind legs is no small feat. The only downside is that this little effort takes a tremendous toll on Champ which means his first effort is his best trick and after that it gets progressively worse, if not impossible to make it happen multiple times. The video is not Champ's best work, oftentimes he'll spend quite a bit more time upright without leaning on me and every once in a while will do a nice little pirouette. I taught him this trick without using any food or treat in my hand at the time (but he knows to expect a treat once he jumps up). It's so great to see the expression on his face and the way he carries himself after he does it; it's like he's so proud of what he's just done. I sure love that guy. Sally is so funny because she knows that once he does the trick they both will get a cookie.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Yea right,,,I clicked on the
video twice and it said not
available....I/am wondering if he
can actually do this trick???
dad

Dad said...

Hey Heather:
I finally saw the trick and am wondering if it is really a trick.
You might want to hire Andy to do
the next trick. He just signed with
Tom Cruise to do the next trailer....
Oh well
good luck and have a great holiday,
dad