Sunday, September 13, 2009

Seriously! I Mean, Seriously?!?!

My number one, biggest pet peeve is when someone does not follow through on a promise or service. Period. Today I was very disappointed and found myself quite upset when I drove nearly 40 minutes to attend my Sunday afternoon yoga class, waited in my car approximately 25 minutes, just to find out that the instructor would not be showing up. The problem was not that class was canceled, but that she failed to let myself and the other 7 people who showed up know that she would not be coming!

You see, I really enjoy this particular class and have been scheduling my entire Sunday around it. Between the drive there, the 75 minute class, and the drive home, it is almost a three hour commitment. Ray has been gracious enough to go grocery shopping while I attend class so that we can spend as much time together on our day off.

Needless to say, I was fuming on the 40 minute drive back home...not very Zen. I sent the instructor a very nice email (since I knew that I'd be seeing her next week) as soon as I got home expressing my disappointment and let her know how committed I am to her class. The e-mail explained my personal situation clearly and recommended that perhaps she prepare a communications strategy so that this wouldn't happen again.

The other issue is that this is a second time occurrence for me. The first was about 6 months ago and the result is that I stopped going to class - I just missed it so much that decided to give another go at it. I'm not sure what is so difficult about sending an e-mail to her approximately 20 students saying if class is canceled? I'm still not sure why that would be so difficult.

I had to find the good in this situation, otherwise it would've ruined my day. I guess the upside was that I ended up getting in a run this afternoon, albeit in the rain, but it felt great nonetheless!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Bad communication is a major pet peeve of mine...I'm sorry that happened.

Heather said...

Wouldn't the world be such a better place if there wasn't a lack of communication?!? ;)