Monday, September 7, 2009

How Young is Too Young?

It is amazing how many kids have their own cell phone these days. What shocks me are the young kids with smart phones. I was at a boutique yesterday and there was a girl, probably 15 years old, who was texting friends on her iPhone the entire time she and her mom were shopping. The store owner said, "my high school son would be so jealous if he saw you have an iPhone." Mom spoke up quickly and said that her daughter paid for the phone herself and is responsible to pay for the monthly insurance plan. At least this is learning responsibility and has to work for things.

What really got me was today during lunch at the Olive Garden. There was a kid, no older than 9 years of age, who was texting on his iPhone! This was clearly his own personal phone, which prompted a conversation about how much things have changed since when I was growing up (yes, this talk made me feel old!). As this was being discussed, I looked a couple tables down and there was a two-year-old child talking on a cell phone!!! No joke. I about fell out of my chair laughing. I mean seriously, isn't that a bit young? Stephanie, do either of your kids have a cell phone?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yes, my kids have cell phones. It started as a safety thing (they take off on bikes or skateboards on their own) and now that they have entered Junior High my extrovert texts on it all the time with his friends. He has certain hours that are banned and he respects that. He also knows not in a restaurant, during a movie, during school time or when the family is hanging out. I think my introvert still just has the house phone number in his phone. They only just got texting at 11 & 12. I only just got texting too at 39.

Heather said...

It sounds like you have great guidelines as to when they can use their phones. I think it is great that they respect those boundaries - ESPECIALLY at a restaurant. I find it to be very rude when people use their phones while dinning out. I also like that family time is cell-free!