Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Nike Plus = Mega Cool

What is Nike Plus? I think it is the coolest workout technology out there. Basically, you have to get a pair of Nike shoes that are Nike+ compatible. There are currently two kits available - one that plugs into your iPod Nano and the other is a wrist band. I have the iPod one and Ray has the wrist band. Both require a sensor to be put inside your shoe. It's great because mine is connected through my headphones and while I'm running/jogging/walking I can press the center button and a voice tells me my current time, distance, average speed and calories burned! How cool is that? The wristband shows the same information on the display face and you just toggle through it. After a workout you just plug it into the computer and all of your workout information is uploaded to the Nike Plus website. It's awesome that I look back at my runs and chart my progress. One of my favorite features is that you can set goals for yourself (you may have noticed my goal on the side of the blog - it gets updated automatically when I upload a workout!) and invite friends to participate in a challenge based on most miles, distance goals, or fastest times; these challenges can be set for individuals or teams. For me, it is a great motivational tool to get me back on track and make me accountable. The only downside to this is that it currently only works for running/jogging/walking - so it does not calculate any other exercise...however I did read that this technology is being brought into gyms to track the same type of information. What will they think of next???

1 comment:

Wendy said...

This is great. I have the sensor to put on my shoe. I did not have to purchase the shoes. I bought a sensor holder and just put that on my shoes. I bought my mom the wristband for her runs. After I bought it summer hit and it has been too hot to run outside. At least I will be ready when the temperatures cool down or I can just use it at the gym. It is a good motivational tool. It is fun when all of a sudden you hear a voice. I had Tiger Woods speaking to me!