Saturday, January 5, 2008

Some Clarification

I've received several e-mails as to why the blog is called "Charlie's Adventures" and where the names Charlie and Uncle Ray came from. Well readers, I'm here to help. Apparently, Ray has nicknames for a good number of people in his life. When we first started dating he said that he would come up with the perfect name for me...and he did just that. Early on we had talked about our favorite movies and "Top Gun" was among each of our top favorites. I have to admit that Tom Cruise was one of my first major crushes (along with first baseman Mark Grace, which is a whole post in itself) and I LOVED that movie - I've probably seen it 100 times. Anyway, long story short is that Ray sent me a text message that said he thought he'd call me "Charlie." I immediately knew that it was because of Top Gun - the chick who was "Maverick's" girlfriend (Kelly McGillis) name was Charlie in the movie. Ray has called me Charlie ever since. In fact, the only time that Ray even says Heather is when he's talking about me to other people. It makes me smile every time I hear him says it too. Side note - Ray has often gone by the alias Pete Mitchell throughout his life - which is Maverick's "real name" in Top Gun! Classic.

That brings us to the other name I've been questioned about - "Uncle Ray" - and no, it doesn't have anything to do with him being any sort of sugar daddy. Back when I was working for Ray, I received a call from a guy that I had worked with when I worked for the Phoenix Coyotes. He asked where I was working and I told him with the RoadRunners - he immediately said "Oh, with Uncle Ray" and I've called him Uncle Ray ever since. Small world, this guy had worked with Ray over 10 years before! "Uncle Ray" has been a nickname that many of his employees have affectionately called him over the years, and continue to call him to this day.

No comments: