Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Banana Bread Take 5

Since arriving here in Moncton, I've had more time on my hands than I know what to do with. Ray and I have been sharing his car (don't get me started, that's a whole different post that I'm too worked up to write about right now) and I have access to it when he doesn't have meetings. This means that I'm home quite a bit during the week. I absolutely LOVE banana bread and have been on a quest to make a great loaf. If you don't already know, I'm not all that great in the kitchen. I can get by, but tend to make a huge mess and nothing ever turns out exactly as it should. A few weeks ago I asked Ray to get me a receipe for banana bread and he got one from his mom. The next day I was excited to get baking since I thought we already had all the ingredients. You see, none of this stuff here is mine. Ray has four canisters on the counter.


I assumed that the largest one with the white stuff in it was the flour. So I got 2 cups and put it in the badder. I noticed a cardboard square in this flour and thought it was just one of Ray's weird things to keep the flour fresh or last longer (it's not that unusual for me to think that since he keeps his bread in the fridge to make it last longer). Well, the banana bread didn't turn out...at all. When Ray got home he kinda laughed and I blamed the failed bread on the receipe. I asked him why he kept cardboard in the flour and he asked me to point out where the "flour" came from. He pulled the piece of cardboard out and said that it was waffle mix...not flour. OK, so the receipe wasn't bad...I had just made waffle bread.

I decided to give it another go, using actual flour this time. I ended up trying this receipt a total of 4 times. It said to bake for 1 hour or until the top was brown and cracked. Every time the top would be brown but the middle wasn't cooked all the way through. I called my mom on Sunday and she gave me her receipe for banana bread. So I made loaf number 5 yesterday...yet again a failed loaf! The same old story, it was all brown on top except the middle wasn't cooked AND I left it in longer than the receipt called for. Look, I'm not THAT bad of a cook!!! I know how to follow a receipe.

That brings us to last night. We were making a turkey fillet (looks just like a boneless chicken breast) in the oven. It really should only take 20-25 minutes to cook...it took 45 minutes and I still wasn't convinced that it was cooked all the way. I conclude that we've got a bad oven, NOT a bad cook.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Ok Heather... I think your first mistke was that you asked for a receipt and not a recipe!!! You silly Chef.. you may want to rent Ratatouille to learn how to cook... I actually have the same problem with banana bread, it never comes out corect, so I have just given up on making it... Have a great Thanksgiving!

Dad said...

Hey Heather:
I/am not writing about banana bread..
I/ll leave that up to your Mom..
I/am writing to thank you for take
that wonderful short movie of Andys
off your blog site. Tom Cruise called today and considering using it for a trailer before his upcoming movie. Andy is still in nigotiations over that...
Good luck in the kitchen...
Does anyone know how to spell
fire alarm???
dad

Unknown said...

Heather, Tell Ray the next pkg I send will have a oven thermometer
in it. Sending it tomorrow with a supply of balance bars. Don't give up on the bread its the oven....MARLENE

Heather said...

Wendy, I felt like such an idiot when I saw that spelling mistake...duh! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one w/problems making banana bread.
Good luck to Andy on his future endeavors.
Thanks Mrs. Delia! An oven thermometer may be just the trick...

Unknown said...

Heather, don't feel bad about the oven. When we lived at Ft. Polk, Louisiana, I cooked a 12 lb. turkey for 14 hours and it was extra crispy on top and still raw in the middle. The oven ended up being off 50-75 degrees. Once I started using an oven thermometer, things turned out fine. Dina