Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My First Time

Well, in my quest to learn about all things Louisiana, I enjoyed - well not so much enjoyed but ate - my first ever crawfish, or mudbug if you will. Yes, I have had crawfish in pasta dishes and gumbo but have never peeled and eaten a boiled one before today. Man those guys are DIRTY. It just oozed with this bright yellow nastiness that got all over my hands and smelled equally gross - I'm told that is the fat and contains all of the flavor. I found the process to be quite a lot of work for such a little piece of meat. Plus, having those dead carcasses stare me in the eye was a bit disturbing and didn't leave me aching to pull the heads off more than just one. I do have to admit that it tasted better than I anticipate but commented that it will not become a staple in my diet.

Another first for me today was sighting an alligator in its natural habitat! It was a little guy and my trigger finger was too slow to catch him on film, but it was exciting for me nonetheless. Today was also the first time I have stepped onto a beach on the Gulf of Mexico - had to capture that moment. I sure love that my job allows me the opportunity to experience all of this.


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That sounds like a lot of fun firsts (well except the eating crayfish thing)...have you tried eating Alligator?? That's good stuff and it combines two of your firsts: eating and alligator.