Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Herding Cats

Today got off to a late start which gave me a bit of time to hit the much needed hotel gym. A walk through the French Quarter and Jackson Square brought the tour to brunch at Muriel’s to experience a feast for the senses. These meals have truly been spectacular and I would recommend each place I’ve eaten up to this point.

We then toured the Louisiana State Museum’s Presbytere where we learned more about Mardi Gras and Zulu (the originally all black Krewe). This year marks the 100th Anniversary of this krewe and the Presbytere was was putting the finishing touches on this new exhibit. Also at the museum was two woman who make Mardi Gras masks and presented us each with one! There were absolutely gorgeous and can’t wait to hang mine in my office.

We returned to the hotel to pick out costumes and change. I have to admit that mine was more revealing than I would have preferred, but it fit me perfect. It was a blast getting dressed up in costume and mask; it made me feel like a kid again at Halloween. We were all dressed in costumes and joined up with the Phunny Phorty Pehellow – they have a Twelfth Night (tonight, aka the epiphany) streetcar ride that heralds the arrival of the Carnival season. Our tour had the great fortune of joining this group on their streetcar! It was such and amazing experience and one that I will treasure for many years to come.

Then we were off to dinner, YES, all dressed in costume to GW Fins (pretty upscale joint, but nobody batted an eye when we walked in…only in New Orleans…or Vegas I guess). Executive Chef Tenny Flynn came out and chatted with our table several times and even gave a demonstration on how to make Banana’s Foster…No, I will not be attempting this dessert at home; I would probably set the place on fire.

We had plans to go to a couple parties, but majority ruled to take a quick drive to see the lower 9th ward where the majority of the hurricane devastation took place; that was a sight to see. You know, New Orleans is nothing like I thought it would be…I love it here and think it is a spectacular city. I can’t wait to make my way back here to see more if its sights.

Oh and Yes, I am having the time of my life on this trip. What I haven’t described are some of my not so glamorous job responsibilities. My counterpart, Jennifer, and I are in charge of getting all 9 other tour participants to each destination on time so we can fit in everything . You know how people are; they all want to be on their own agenda…so getting all 11 of us in two cars and to the next destination on time has been described as herding cats; which really is the perfect analogy.

No comments: